Friday, December 21, 2007

Method to Finding Purpose

There as many things to talk about - I feel the perfectionist need to present them in an orderly fashion, but so often "hold of for now" becomes "hold off forever"... To avoid this - I'll post as things come up, but I know my short term goal is to find my true purpose in life - so I will focus on that topic of discussion. We can talk about diet and sleeping after the new year.

It has been asked how I am pursuing the discovery of my true purpose. First and foremost, I set a clear goal - and time line. Then, to create external motivational pressure, I announced my intentions to my friends - and potentially the world via this blog. Not only that, but it allows me to gather input from others about purpose. It makes for a great topic of conversation / way of getting to know someone / personal motivator. Writing to this blog serves another purpose as well. It is an extension of my broader practice of writing for at least an hour a day on purpose and the evaluation of myself.

The one technique that I use offline is an exercise suggested by Steve Pavlina. It is very basic - involving free-writing to answer the question "What is my true purpose in life?" and simply continuing to write until you cry. Now, I don't know if I will be driven to tears by my final answer, but I know the true answer will toll a deep resonance within me. I have had many statements come from this writing that were candidates for my true purpose, but I found that I often could not effortlessly remember what they were hours later. I realize that my real answer will be immediately rememberable. That is the challenge to this method. You feel like you have a breakthrough - it feels like the ultimate answer, but maybe a day later, you have a hard time remembering exactly what it was your epiphany was. That information isn't lost - it is incorporated into your realm of knowledge, but it isn't the "one true answer". So you must drive yourself to keep going - to keep writing. There is one phrase that has stuck with me in memory - but it hasn't transformed my outlook - and no tears. I think I'm in the ballpark of my statement of purpose, but I have to push forward and dig deeper.

My approach boils down to clear focus on my goal of finding my purpose and brute-force writing until I run out of false words and finally let slip the real answer. As I go I also find new angles to approach the writing from - such as listing my strengths, or everything I "like", or "If I had no limitations whatsoever, what kind of life would I have".

Time to depart for now... Later today I will take a step back and explain what identifying your true purpose means and _why_ one should bother in the first place.

4 comments:

Speroni said...

So what ballpark are you in? Is there a green monster? Or are you reluctant to reveal your direction before the "End All Reason" is discovered?

I am going to post more about reason on my blog. Feel free to check it out. It will be half response to this and half of my own view on it.

frosty said...

Hmm - I was thinking about this - I like the element of surprise, but the purpose of this is to get outside input so I suppose I will create a post discussing my current working statement...

Speroni said...

I like Pavlina's blog.

frosty said...

Same here - you can probably see his suggestions in a lot of my changes. He pushes boundaries - sometimes in very practical ways (how to wake up early) and sometimes in a way-out-there way (subjective reality). I take what seems valuable and hear out the rest with the least critical ear that I can.