Thursday, July 10, 2008

Pushing the Limit

Setting records. I didn't know I had a fifteen gallon tank! It was also a matter of faith that I could exceed 400 miles on a tank...

Interestingly the car computer says I'm creeping up to 26.4 MPG (up 2/10ths). I wonder if it is my super-mild hyper-miling practice of using neutral to unload the engine when going downhill / at a light. Or perhaps it's because I'm not weighing the car down on the return trip home ;)

On a side note, there is debate over potentially mandating cars to have a real-time MPG display (basic car comp like mine or a spiffy fuel consumption display like the Prius). I'm currently of the opinion that it is a very low cost implementation that can only help. About the only argument is one of safety - but if you are paying attention to the MPG readout you are most likely to be going slower (because it's more efficient).

And no, I can't believe I linked to About.com either.

1 comment:

Speroni said...

You should have seen the $200 bill for driving a uhaul all that way. There's a limit of $75 that one can pump in fuel at a time. That was a mere half tank for the uhaul.