Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Why I Bike

Random guys on super pogo sticks...

Actually, that is a Flybar 800 - with 800 lbs of lift in it's elastic - that's four feet of vertical for you average weight people... It's no Flybar 1200, but this is Wacky Chad one hop away from doing a backflip - with his pogo stick. Yeah, you heard me. For the unimaginative ones in the audience, flip your monitor over to get the idea.

The story is this - I'm riding my usual route home from work, and I decide to try and find a less hectic route through Endicott than Main Street. This was a novel idea to me because I was afflicted with driver's syndrome (the inability to go anywhere except by the fastest route, regardless of distance and scenery). I'm getting cured of that. Next thing you know I'll be swapping my handlebars and riding upright like some sort of Dutchman. But I digress.

And so I did digress from my normal route - cutting up a street before Washington, looking for a residential pace instead of drag-racing cars in a 40 MPH zone. No sooner do I turn but there is a crowd of children in front of the library. You can recognize "street performers" in under a second flat so I pulled up to give a gander. What I found was a summer's evening treat of entertainment! All because I was biking along.

No comments: