Friday, October 26, 2007

Attack of the color sorted M&M's


You may remember my previous post regarding a kiosk for the selection of individually colored M&M's. Well what should I find in a party store on an end-cap? Behold - individually packaged mono-color M&M's.

So what's my hang-up with this? It is this: these are not Starburst candies or Skittles people... M&M's all taste the same! Skittles are even made by the same company as M&M's, but you don't see kiosks so that you can get 4 lbs. of Banana Berry if you so chose. We live in a world where they have eliminated purple Swedish Fish, but you can get M&M's in four shades of blue... Madness. Madness.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Golly gee- I see you are quite the fan of the good ol' melt in your mouth not in your hand candy

frosty said...

I have expounded on my thoughts since first posting. Hopefully me feelings are clear. If I could talk directly to the M&M's I would say this:

"Look buddy, I know you have that patented candy shell that keeps my fingers chocolate free (now my fingers are red and blue) - but don't you think you've beat that into the ground? I mean - you don't want to be a one-trick candy, do you?"

He would probably reply:

"But look at all the colors I come in!"

(sigh)

frosty said...

So, I have done an analysis from my pictures. These individually wrapped packages are $4.99 for 7 ounces - equivalent to $11.41 / lb! At Wegmans you can mix and match any volume for $7.99 a lb... Hell, my office vending machine is $1.25 for an individual pack (3.14 oz.) - that's $6.37 / lbs.!

What's the message? That this is a brilliant mark-up strategy? Or is it just that I dwell on things way too much? Isn't that why you read this blog? ;)

Anonymous said...

Well.... Let me just say for all of us who come to read this blog-
Thanks ever so much for clearing that up!
I just thought you were a huge fan of an M&M, now I know you secretly are protesting them. Or should i say semi publicly....
Now we all know! Damn the racest M&M!!!