Friday, December 08, 2006

Paying My Water Bill


RULES OF DECORUM WILL BE OBSERVED IN THIS FACILITY

My first thought was... well to be frank, it was "what an odd sign". Then I wondered "what kind of decorum"? Military decorum? I thought that was silly until I noticed even Santa was saluting... And look, he has the rules right there in his hand! Anyone that points out he is using the wrong hand to salute with gets coal.

To look at it more critically, the sign doesn't really say that you have to behave. It doesn't say "you will display decorum" - merely that it will be observed. Perhaps the service personel are the ones that will display it for you. That would seem true if they interpreted "decorum" as "icy cold reception and detachment". Perhaps they hire thespians to come in on Wednesdays and put on a show of decorum. I was there on Tuesday.

And remember what Santa says kids:

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

No comments: